Monday, August 25, 2008

Well...

Those promised blog posts didn't really happen.

Stupid hard drive failure.

Not to make excuses, but our laptop's hard drive crashed about a week ago. For the curious, I usually spend the first week of a vacation to "exhale" whatever stresses I might have accumulated, and then use the second to "get to work", whatever that means given the circumstances. Sometimes it's doing homework. Sometimes, as here, it's stuff that I assign myself.

So with a defunct laptop, and, counting a trip to the library, only one chance at Internet until today (we're back in Sarnia now), I couldn't write the blog entries, or accomplish the other computer-based goals I had set for myself for the trip (i.e., mixing some audio, cleaning out my Inbox, etc). And it's unlikely these will get accomplished during the next week too, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Not like anyone was eagerly waiting for the blog entries anyway. Or that anyone will even read this sentence. Ah well.

P.S. If anyone's curious, the computer that crashed was five years old, ran XP, had a mere 128 MB of RAM, and -- worse yet, perhaps -- 16 gigs of total hard drive space. If anyone can commandeer such a system in 2008, it'd be a nerd like me, but sometimes things fall apart on even the most cautious users. You have been warned. That said, I made a backup before we left, so it's not as bad as it could have been.

P.P.S. Re: the last sentence before the post-script: some comments here would be nice! I suspect that there's at least a couple people reading this. So, in the hopefully-immortal words of Chris Martin, "If you love me, won't you let me know?" I have little free time as it is, and I'm not going to waste it on a thoughtful, insightful blog series if no one's going to read it.

5 comments:

  1. I keep checking in, but after long pauses... it sometimes takes a few days to check back in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Mr. Easton! I had a hunch you'd be first to comment.

    If you're checking in every few days, you probably visit here more frequently than I do. I was more curious to know which Facebook friends would see the blog post on my profile, then visit and comment.

    Thanks, though! P.S. - your blog is going on my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a long list of blogs I keep coming back to. Yours is on the list!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment:
    Hello. How's it going? That's too bad about your computer. I expect I'm another of those nerds who uses an old and mostly useless laptop. If I didn't, how else would I play pacman?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sam! I'm doing just fine, thanks, yourself?
    The laptop survived, I just had to get into the Recovery Console and run Scandisk. Everything was saved, but it was a close one. I hear you with the Pacman...my most recent obsession is using DOSBox to play awesomely old abandonware. Classic games beat the new ones any day.

    ReplyDelete