...to not buy anything. Thing is, today is Buy Nothing Day. In a gesture of good will and non-conformance -- because, (a), I'm a non-conformist, and (b), it's Black Friday and 25,000 children die every day of poverty -- I signed up for the associated Facebook event, having been invited by a friend (good thing you know who you are, because unfortunately I don't).
Easy enough, I thought. I never buy much anyway. Chances are -- Black Monday be damned -- I won't buy anything on Buy Nothing Day.
But today, during music council, our "Music Minion" t-shirts were distributed -- for $5 each.
So I bought something. On Buy Nothing Day. When I had already said that I wasn't going to buy anything.
<sarcasm>
Shame on me. On the other hand, at least there's 365 other opportunities within the next year to defy consumerism.
</sarcasm>
...
But shouldn't we be doing that everyday? I mean, you look at things like this and it should be obvious why the terrorists hate us, in a continent where more money is spent on pets than is donated to charity. When will we learn?
...
P.S. In case your head isn't reeling yet, yes, 25,000 children do die of extreme poverty each day. Think about that for a second, before you ask for that PS3 or iPod touch for Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment